When my son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one of the hardest things for me was to come up with meals and snacks that would taste good, would give him proper nutrition and also would keep his blood glucose levels in check.
While he was at home I could monitor his food intake and make changes if he didn’t like something. During the school days however it was a different story. I had to make sure that the snacks and meals I pack in his lunchbox would be eaten.
For diabetics it is not only about watching sugar and carbohydrate intake……. It is about carefully choosing foods and snacks mostly with fiber and protein while watching carbohydrates, calories, fat and sodium.
My son’s diabetic team was very helpful with designing his menu plan and suggesting snacks……it was up to me to make sure that my diabetic child is well being taken care of.
Few years ago I read an article in Diabetic Living about selecting smart snacks for diabetics when grocery shopping.
With the help of that article and their research my son and I made a list of top 20 diabetic snacks he liked.
I keep that list on my fridge for a quick reference and snack ideas.
I do prefer to make meals and snacks from scratch or serve them in their natural state, but sometimes you just don’t have the option or time. That’s when the convenience of prepackaged foods kicks in.
Top 20 Convenient Diabetic Snacks:
- Honey Maid Cinnamon Rolls Thin Crisps (100 calories, 16g carbs, 3g fat, 115mg sodium)
- Sun-Maid Mediterranean Apricots (per 1/4 cup – 100 calories, 23g carbs, 0g fat, 15mg sodium, 3 g fiber)
- Triscuit Thin Crips Quattro Formaggio (15 crackers – 140 calories, 22g carbs, 4.5g fat,160g sodium, 3g fiber)
- Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop!94% Fat Free Butter (3.5cup – 120 calories, 25g carbs, 2g fat, 240g sodium, 4g fiber)
- Laughing Cow Mini Babybel Light (50 calories, 0g carbs, 3g fat, 6g protein, 160mg sodium)
- Planters Harvest California Almonds (25 nuts – 160calories, 6g carbs, 14g fat, 6 g protein, 95mg sodium, 3g fiber)
- Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Oats ‘N Honey Bars (2 bars – 180 calories, 29g carbs, 6g fat, 4g protein, 2g fiber, 160mg sodium)
- Plocky’s Original Three Grain Tortilla Chips (1 oz – 129 calories, 24g carbs, 4g fat, 2g protein, 2g fiber, 90mg sodium)
- Quaker Snack Mix – Baked Cheddar (3/4cup – 130 calories, 19g carbs, 4.5g fat, 2g protein, 1g fiber, 230mg sodium)
- Del Monte Fruit Naturals – No Sugar Added Peach Chunks (1/2cup – 40 calories, 12g carbs, 0g fat, 1g protein, 2 g fiber, 0g sodium)
- Simply Jif Creamy Peanut Butter (2Tbsp – 190 calories, 6g carbs, 16g fat, 8g protein, 2g fiber, 65mg sodium)
- Sun Chips Harvest Cheddar 100 Calorie Mini Bites (per pack – 100 calories, 12g carbs, 4.5g fat, 2g protein, 1g fiber, 110mg sodium)
- Dannon Activia Light Nonfat Yogurt (4oz – 70 calories, 13g carbs, 0g fat, 5g protein, 3g fiber, 75mg sodium)
- Genisoy Soy Crisps – Rich Cheddar Cheese (17 chips – 120 calories, 13g carbs, 4.5g fat, 7g protein, 2g fiber, 190mg sodium)
- Kashi TLC Original 7 Grain Crackers (15 crackers – 130calories, 22g carbs, 3g fat, 3g protein, 2g fiber, 160mg sodium)
- Planters Harvest Dark Chocolate Forest Blend Trail Mix (1/4cup – 170 calories, 18g carbs, 10g fat, 4g protein, 3g fiber, 45mg sodium)
- Dannon Activia Strawberry Dairy Drink (160 calories, 27g carbs, 3g fat, 6g protein, 1g fiber, 60mg sodium)
- Jell-O Sugar Free Chocolate Vanilla Swirls Pudding Snacks (60 calories, 12g carbs, 1.5g fat, 2g protein, 180mg sodium)
- Praeventia Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies (1 pouch – 150 calories, 21g carbs, 6g fat, 2g protein, 4g fiber, 95mg sodium)
- Kettle Baked Potato Chips – Hickory Honey BBQ ( 1 oz – 120 calories, 21g carbs, 3g fat, 3g protein, 2g fiber, 160mg sodium)
Important part to remember is that prepackaged and convenient snacks are to help in times when homemade is not an option and as a treat. Fresh and natural foods are always the best option.
One more thing….I love COMMENTS like everyone else so go ahead and let me know how am I doing.I would love to hear from you.
If you like this article, please share it with others by using the little handy share buttons below.